Citroen C5 Aircross
The French company Citroen is regularly expanding its presence in the crossover market. In April 2017, the world premiere of Citroen C5 Aircross, a parquet flooring company with a nontrivial design and advanced technical characteristics, took place in Shanghai. Six months later, the new product finally reached Europe and was presented in Frankfurt as part of the local exhibition. The whole model range is Citroen.
It so happens that modern car manufacturers do not always want to listen to the demands of customers. As a result, when buying a car the consumer has to choose between original style and practicality. Parketniks, which combine both, can be counted on the fingers.
Citroen company has studied the needs of customers, added invaluable experience in creating comfortable, practical cars, took into account the shortcomings after the launch of the C3 Aircross. The position of the French brand was significantly strengthened when the new Citroën C5 with its proud name Ayrcross appeared on the market.
The C5 Cross Citroën brand replaced the C4 Aircross, which was discontinued. Since 2017, the compact crossover has been assembled in France, in Rennes. The new flagship of the Citroen C5 Aircross 2018 received a bright appearance and all the attributes of the SUV-car: embodying the power and reliability of aggressive design, clearance with a decent height, inherent in the French brand style elements, rich opportunities for personalization.
It is safe to say that Citroen C5 Aircross is one of the most original cars in its segment in Russia. As for the modularity of the interior, a decent luggage compartment of 580-720 liters, they have no equal.
Extended over 4.5 metres, the Citroen C5 Aircross 2018 stands out from other vehicles for its impressive, dynamic appearance. It is not just a new crossover of 2018, but a breath of fresh air SUV. All this is made possible by the unique features of the car:
- The front part looks very solid.
- Smooth side lines and high hood.
- Expressive graphic elements. The Airbump lining with its brightly colored inserts is the only thing worthwhile.
- Wheels with decent diameter of 72 centimeters and high clearance of 23 centimeters. For comparison – many sedans have this index does not exceed 15 centimeters.
- Side lower moldings amaze with their forms.
- The wheel arches are reliably protected, two-color arches are installed on the roof.
- Fans of “traveling with the wind” will also want to buy Citroen C5 Aircross, because the roof here is panoramic. Moreover, due to the special profile dynamics, chrome C element, the glazing belt creates an amazing effect of “soaring roof”.
- The back of the Citroen C5 Aircross 2018 is slightly raised. Not only is it tall, but it is also wide, so the luggage compartment is spacious enough. Depending on the position of the rear seats, its volume ranges from 580 to 720 litres.
- Tail lamps look very spectacular. They have an oval shape, are durable and very bright LED modules.
The spacious Citroën C5 Aircross salon, whose photo is presented in the catalogue, turned out to be status and expensive. When designing the interior, we took into account the wishes of drivers who strive for minimalism, decent volumes, combined with high functionality. The dashboard is impressive in size and complements the integrity of the interior. In addition, it significantly expands the space – the interior seems more spacious.
- The central console is tall enough and easy to use.
- Seats. Also have a high seating height. The front seats are fully equipped with a heating function and a multipoint massage system. The backrest of each seat is fitted with 8 air chambers. Five massage programmes are available.
- Huge legroom, especially for rear passengers. This phenomenal result has been achieved thanks to an impressive wheelbase that is more than 2.7 metres long.
- Pleasant colors and materials of the cabin give the driver and passengers a feeling of comfort and security.
The basis of the model was one of the latest developments of Citroen – platform of modular type EMR2. It is complemented by the Grip Control system, which greatly simplifies off-road driving.
Adherents of high speeds and aggressive engines will surely want to buy Citroën C5 Aircross this year. The parquet flooring was the first in the history of Citroen, which is equipped with a unit Plug-In Hybrid PHEV e-AWD. This engine provides truly phenomenal dynamic properties.
The gasoline versions will be completed:
- Turbocharged 3-cylinder 1.2 PureTech engine with 130 horsepower. This is the “junior” version on gasoline, equipped with a turbocharger and 12 timing valves. Its revolutions are 5500 per minute.
- Turbocharged 4-cylinder engine 1.6 TNR capacity of 180 horses. Here the valves are 16, the gas distribution phases are regulated, the number of revolutions reaches 6000 per minute.
Both diesel engines have 4 cylinders each:
- BlueHDi turbo diesel with 130 horsepower. The engine is equipped with a turbocharger, the option of battery supply of diesel fuel, 16 valves. The number of revolutions is 3750 per minute.
- Turbo diesel with 177 horsepower. It differs from the “junior” diesel version in the presence of a turbine, intercooler, Common Rail injection.
Under the hood of the French parquet flooring, which is intended for the European market, gasoline and diesel engines were prescribed. They will work in pair with 2 transmissions:
- 6-step “mechanics”.
- 8-speed automatic transmission.
Even for an extra fee, the all-wheel drive transmission does not have to wait. Once on the road, the driver will have to rely only on the Grip Control system.
Citroen’s innovative solutions have touched almost every element – even the suspension is no exception. The new Citroen C5 Aircross is a member of Advanced Comfort and offers a whole new level of comfort. The model was equipped with Progressive Hydraulic suspension. Special stops guarantee a smooth and soft ride on the road.
The innovative type of suspension significantly increases the quality of shock absorption and makes the Citroen C5 Aircross even more valuable and popular on the market car. When creating the suspension, the company received twenty patents.
How do the limiters work? One of them limits the rebound stroke, the other is the compression stroke. That’s why the suspension works in 2 stages and depends on the load.
- If the stroke is short, the hydraulic stops are not used. Vertical movements are clearly controlled by the spring and shock absorber. But the very presence of stops has allowed to achieve an amazing effect of “airplane carpet”. It seems that Citroen C5 Aircross does not go to Russia, but “flies” on bumps. Exactly what you need for our lack of roads!
- When the rebound stroke is significant, the shock absorber, hydraulic limiter work together. There is a gradual slowdown in traffic, which allows you to avoid a sudden stop. No “rebounds” are observed, because the limiter does not return, but absorbs and dissipates energy.
The 2018 Citroën C5 Aircross steering gearbox is equipped with a rack and pinion configuration. Electric amplifier, ventilated brakes on the front axle are available. The rear is equipped with a disc “classic” with additional options such as ABS, EBD, BA.
Dimensions of discs and wheels
As they say, everything depends on the equipment of the vehicle. It can be equipped with both 17- and 18-, even 19-inch alloy wheels and rubber 225/60, 225/55 and 235/50, respectively.
Technologies, means of assistance
In the development of Citroen C5 cross were introduced such technologies:
- Grip Control. Works exclusively with Mud and Snow 19 inch tyres and wheels. It greatly facilitates driving on the difficult sections of the track, starts the off-road mode. The advanced option is registered in ESP – it monitors slippage of the front wheels and offers several driving options depending on the type of roads. For example, standard Grip Control, driving on impassability, driving on sand, snow. There is also an option ESP OFF, when the system ESP is switched off completely.
- Vision. Imagine you’re driving, but you’re fully navigated in the space ahead, behind and at the side thanks to the Vision 360 system. It is especially useful when manoeuvring in tight city streets, with heavy traffic. The display shows a clear picture of the situation at the front/back of the vehicle. The viewing angle is 180 degrees.
- Cruise control. Already familiar to many motorists technology has survived the “second birth” on board Eyrcross, the characteristics of the option are impressive. Radar was installed in the front bumper of the parquet flooring. It monitors the traffic ahead and keeps a safe distance in automatic mode. Even a complete stop of the car is possible.
- Citroen Connect Nav. Citroen C5 Aircross 2018 has different equipment and prices, but it is better to take the maximum equipment. The car enthusiast will have at his disposal a perfect in every sense 3D system Citroen Connect Nav. It works in tandem with an 8-inch HD screen and recognizes all voice commands. Thus, without distraction from driving, you can control navigation, smartphone and other multimedia devices. The Mirror Screen option allows you to use your smartphone apps in safe mode to get weather information, etc.
- Automatic opening system. There is no need to get out of the car every time you need to open the trunk. Thanks to the electric drive and the “Open when your hands are busy” function, it is enough to simply swipe your foot under the bumper from behind. The boot will open on its own.
If we take into account the current dimensions of Citroën C5 Aircross 2018, the car falls neatly into the SUV segment. It is a medium-sized parquet flooring with a length of 450 centimeters, width of 184 centimeters and height of 167 cm. If we take into account the rails, the height of the car will be 167 cm. The ground clearance fits into 23 centimeters, the distance between the axles is 273 centimeters.
As far as safety is concerned, the new Citroën C5 Aircross has a pleasant surprise in terms of functionality and price. The safety of the driver and passenger is the responsibility of the new Citroën C5 Aircross:
- Side and front airbags.
- Panoramic view.
- Wheel pressure sensors.
- Monitoring of “dead zones”, fatigue level.
- Keeping the vehicle in the right lane.
- Reliable seat belts with three-point fixation are equipped with a pre-tensioning function.
- Additional fastenings for the child seat.
In addition, modern steel alloys, characterized by ultimate strength and rigidity, were used in the manufacture of the bodywork. There are separate buckling zones that extinguish the impact force of direct or side impact.
Complete sets and prices
The European version of Citroën C5 Aircross 2018 has equipment and prices, albeit slightly different from the model produced for China by Citroen Dongfeng. At the time of writing, the official price has not yet been announced. But according to experts, it will amount to 27,000 euros. The advanced equipment will differ from the standard availability of such additional options:
- A salon covered in leather, not fabric.
- Opening of the trunk without the help of hands.
- Tracking of “dead zones”.
- 19-inch light alloy wheels instead of the standard 17-inch wheels.
- Cruise control (adaptive).
- Overview – 360 degrees, significantly improving driving safety.
- The roof is panoramic type, the valet.
You can also choose the colour of your interior when you buy it.
Comparison with competitors
The Citroen C5 Aircross has enough competitors in the price range of up to 2 million rubles. First of all, it is the second generation of 5-door Peugeot 2008, restyled Ford Kuga, Mitsubishi Outlander.
The pros and cons
From the positive sides of the car owners note the cute design, maneuverability and panoramic hatch. Citroen C5 Aircross 2017 equipment and prices in the domestic market are not in dispute either. Among the negative points are mediocre manageability (especially on the off-road), boring interior and tight steering wheel.
The new parquet flooring of 2018 by Citroen is stylish, spacious and easily recognizable. It is recommended for bright people and people who want to stay in the spotlight anytime, anywhere. Although the exact price is not yet known on the Citroen C5 Aircross, some conclusions can be drawn.
The car has received a very decent equipment: a full set of Airbags, a wide range of engines, armchairs with a massager, cruise control and the option of parking, the ability to monitor the “blind spot”, panoramic view, advanced optics. However, there were also disadvantages.
Despite the decent light, the off-road capabilities of the car were limited due to the front drive. Grip Control saves only in part, so off-road becomes a real test for the new parquet flooring. As the exact cost in the Russian market is not yet known, there are not many people who want to buy this novelty yet. In such a situation the purchase of Peugeot 2008 seems to be more advantageous. In preparation of the article we helped official site of Citroen we advise everyone.
We advise you to read the article: Citroen’s History