The flagship sedan version, the Volvo S80, is the debut front-wheel drive model from the Swedish car manufacturer in class E, who released the first version in early 1998. After 8 years, at the Geneva Motor Show, in 2006, there was a presentation of the second generation of the S80, which is successfully implemented today.
Another update of the sedan was purchased 6 years later, in 2014. The car has a new exterior design, a lot of accessories, intelligent security systems and excellent multimedia kits. The restyled version of Volvo S80 2014 was presented at the Geneva Motor Show in 2013. The whole model range is Volvo.
During the update, the car from Sweden received a pronounced front bodywork. The new “face” of the stylish car became more expressive, stylish and charismatic, by installing more massive headlights. The grille of the false radiator has grown in all directions and dressed in chrome entourage. Installed in front of the bumper has an air inlet slot, which has melted across the width of the fairing, making the front of the sedan very sporty.
There is also a characteristic aerodynamic skirt, located at the bottom of the bumper edge, compact fog lights, a powerful relief of the fairing mounted in front, abundant use of chrome finish. All this hints at the quality of gambling, but at the same time at the special status of the car. The side body of the car has quiet lines and smooth transitions of surfaces.
There is a long hood, soft roof line, large doors, muscular shoulders, large and light stern. Despite its own rather large size, the status car from Sweden, looks light and airy, which is achieved due to the smooth lines, absence of sharp edges and punches. In addition, all this has had a good effect on the small air flow resistance coefficient.
As before, the presence of a shark fin is striking. The stern of the car has a powerful relief bumper, a large luggage compartment lid and compact louvres of the overall light amplifying equipment. It should be noted that for Russians, there will be a choice of tires and disks: Kinetic, which will go with 16-inch rollers, Momentum and Summum, which diagonally occupy 17 inches. Completes this line of Executive rollers with 18-inch wheel rims.
As a separate option, you can also buy 19-inch wheels. The color range of the solid sedan will be presented only in popular and practical colors, for example, white, bronze, white mother-of-pearl, silver, blue and blue.
If you sit down in the driver’s seat, you immediately begin to admire the magnificent assembly of the cabin, the use of expensive materials (where there is a quality fabric, aluminum, soft plastic, the presence of natural and artificial leather). There is also a delightful, which bribes everyone, central dashboard, which seems to float in the air, directing its attention to the driver.
On top of the stylish nozzles of deflectors is the center of the multimedia complex Sensus Connected Touch (such an intelligent system as a separate option can be purchased as a top version). The steering wheel has a wooden finish, which is just delightful, because it is a real business class. The steering wheel itself is stuffed with additional buttons, it is very comfortable.
The instrument panel is made in the form of an 8-inch color screen, which displays all the necessary information from all parts of the machine. The screen is available in three colors: Elegance, Eco and Performance. If you look at all the charms of the interior in a smooth manner, you begin to feel the comfort and convenience of the Volvo S80 seats, you just want to improve the side support, which is not quite comfortable. Passengers sitting in the back will feel plenty of free space to accommodate three people.
There’s plenty of space in front of your feet, as well as space above your head. Thanks to additional options, you can put a DVD-player, a pair of screens in the headrests of the front seats. Speaking for the volume of the luggage compartment, it is clear that the Volvo S80 sedan, which is a business class, was not designed to carry large-size things.
There are station wagons, crossovers and minivans for that, after all. That’s why it has 480 litres of useful space, which is more than enough to take everything you need with you. The fuel tank volume is 70 litres. The fact that even the basic equipment of the Volvo S80 of 2014, which is called Kinetic, has a decent list of functions is very pleasant.
Those who buy this car will be able to count on the presence of a two-zone climate control, driver’s electronic assistance system, City Safety, LED running lights, high-quality music Performance with a 5-inch display that supports touch screen input and a full set of airbags.
And if you pay extra money, you can equip a business sedan just fine. For example, there will already be a leather interior, the function of heating all the seats and steering wheel, on the front seats will be a function of massage and electric drive, automatic hatch, bi-xenon light-amplifying equipment, parktronic, high-quality music, navigation system, light and rain sensors, different auxiliary systems to monitor the status of the driver, marking on the road and signs, as well as blind areas. Speaking in general, the list of auxiliary functions is big, it is necessary to pay only.
In the Russian market, the Volvo S80 is equipped with a pair of engines, each of which is synchronized with an 8-range “automatic” and has a front-wheel drive transmission (although initially there was an extended list of power units and all-wheel drive system for the car).
Gasoline engine is a model T5, which comes with 4-cylinders and markings B4204T11. It has a 16-valve gas distribution mechanism, turbocharger and direct fuel injection. Its volume is 2.0 liters and it produces 245 horses at 5,500 rpm. It reaches the first hundred in 6.5 seconds, and the maximum speed is 230 km/h. This engine consumes only 6.2 liters per 100 km in a mixed cycle.
The diesel engine is an in-line, turbocharged, 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder engine D4204T5, which has a direct power supply system. As a result, it can achieve 181 single horsepower at 4,250 rpm.
With this engine and automatic transmission with front drive, the 100 km/h mark will be reached in 8.4 seconds, and its maximum speed will be 225 km/h. According to the passport, the machine will consume about 4.3 liters in the combined mode.
The second generation of the Volvo S80 is based on the Ford EUCD, with a front drive, which comes with a transverse positioning of the engine. The Swiss car represents the presence of an independent structure of walking, where there are standard McPherson racks in front of the car, and stabilizers of transverse stability on the rear wheels.
Steering wheel control
The steering of the car is carried out by means of the rack and pinion mechanism with the presence of hydraulic power steering, which has a variable characteristic. The brake system is represented by disc brakes on all 4 wheels, with the support of ABS, EBD and BAS.
Also, the car comes with a 5-cylinder 2.5-liter, 249-strong engine for the model T5. It reaches the first hundred in 7.0 seconds, and its maximum speed is 240 km/h. It consumes about 8.8 liters in a combined cycle and 12.9 liters in a city line. The mass of such a sedan will be from 1,640 kg.
There is also a 6-cylinder 3.0-liter 304-strong engine for the Volvo S80 E6 AWD, which provides all-wheel drive. It can reach a mark of 100 km/h in 6.4 seconds, and its maximum speed is 250 km/h. According to manufacturers, it consumes at least 10 liters per 100 km on average. Urban conditions already require about 14.5-15.0 liters. This car already weighs 1,786 kg.
Swedish sedan Volvo S80 after restyling in 2014 has the following overall characteristics: its length is 4,854 mm, width is 1,861 mm, height is 1,493 mm, wheelbase is 2,835 mm. The height of the ground clearance is not very high, only 151 mm, but if you remember for which particular market the car was produced, everything is in its place, because the quality of roads is much better there.
Security systems include availability:
- Dead Lock systems;
- Driver’s door lock protection against mechanical opening;
- Mechanical locking of the locks on the doors installed at the back;
- Anti-theft Volvo system;
Passive safety is about availability:
- Airbags for the chauffeur and the passenger sitting in front;
- Passenger airbags (without the option of disconnecting them);
- Side airbags SIPS;
- Inflatable air curtains IC;
- ISOFIX child seat mountings;
- Indications of mechanical lock status;
- Side tempered glasses, without water-repellent coating;
- Fixed rear head restraints;
- Safety belts with pretensioners (front and rear);
- Whip injury protection systems WHIPS (front seats);
- Emergency stop sign;
- Alarms for unbuckled seat belts installed in the front.
The front part of the new Swiss sedan was divided into areas, each of which is responsible for different situations and performs different tasks in the process of deformation.
- Low-speed collision protection. The front bumper has a sturdy, ultra-high strength steel transverse element. The fasteners themselves to the longitudinal body parts were made in the form of deformable boxes. This design will help absorb collision energy at low speed. As a result, all other bodywork elements can remain intact.
- High speed crash protection. Direct components of longitudinally arranged body parts were made of high-strength steel. This flexible type of material is well suited to absorb the collision force. This area will be subject to the greatest possible deformation. Cross-type elements, which are arranged diagonally in the doors, also contribute to absorbing the collision energy.
- Protection in the event of a severe collision. The area of the transverse element installed at the front of the posts acts as a barrier: it helps to protect the saloon of the sedan and also functions as an additional construction, which reduces deformation. This design helps minimise the chance of the front wheel entering the vehicle, and moreover, the wheel can absorb the collision force itself. This is an area of high strength, made of ultra-high strength steel.
- Protection in case of a serious collision. A robust side element connects the front struts and body bottom parts. As a result, they create a solid structure with 3 attachment points on each side. This design makes it possible to protect the interior of the machine in the event of a serious – especially lateral – impact.
Active safety and suspension can include availability:
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS);
- Dynamic traction stabilization and control systems (DSTC);
- Emergency Brake Assist Systems (EBA);
- Stop lamp flashing functions for emergency braking;
- Rear parking radar;
- Systems of prevention of rolling away of the car at lifting;
- Cruise control;
- Intellectual information system of the driver (IDIS);
- Systems City Safety of 2nd generation;
- Automatic switching-off of a parking brake at the beginning of movement of a sedan;
- Electronic parking brake;
- Electronic speed limit 230 km/h;
- Functions of automatic inclusion of neutral speed at a car stop and holding the brake pedal more than 5 seconds.
It was developed by Volvo and patented SIPS system, which protects against side impact. It has improved its efficiency by using a new sample of airbags for side impact protection. The cushions have two chambers, one protecting the hips and the other protecting the passenger’s chest. Due to the fact that the hips can withstand more loads than the human chest, the chamber below is pumped under pressure, which is 5 times the pressure of the upper chamber.
Thanks to the good interaction of the airbags with the inflatable curtain and the body structure transverse elements, maximum protection of people is provided, and the thresholds and central drains can reduce the chance of parts from the vehicle structure penetrating the cabin. In addition, a heavy-duty steel sill protection system has been installed in the sills.
When the restyled Volvo S80 was created, the Swedish engineering staff was guided by the standards for children’s safety as standard. The rear, middle chair can be equipped with an auxiliary chair for teenagers and children. The front airbag can be deactivated with a key.
The armchairs can be equipped with a child seat holder that is mounted against the direction of travel. If this is done, the airbag is switched off.
The company has taken the safety of cyclists and pedestrians seriously. The nose of the car was equipped with energy-absorbing zones, including a bumper that has optimal ratios and soft elements. This solution reduced the chance of pedestrian leg damage in case of a possible collision.
Moreover, the lower edge of the spoiler has been reinforced and pushed forward. The hood was slightly raised and a cellular structure was applied underneath, which distributes the load over a large area. This allows the collision energy to be extremely absorbed and the chance of injury to the body to be reduced.
Other security solutions include availability:
- The folding steering column;
- Pedal block with folding option;
- Belt pretensioners for all 5 seats;
- Reminder devices for all 5 seat belts;
- Tension limiters for seat belts in the front seats.
Complete sets and prices
For the updated version of the business sedan Volvo S80 2014, 4-packages are provided: Kinetic, Momentum, Summum and Executive. The cheapest set costs from $31,406, and the top set costs from $35,391. As separate options, a wide range of services will be available.
The basic equipment of Kinetic, has the function of heating the front seats, automatic climate control, alarm system with a key-installed remote control, which is able to remotely control the hatch and door windows, LED running lights and heated side mirrors.
Momentum already has decorative inserts and audio control from the steering wheel, rear parking radar, light alloy 17-inch wheels, chrome accent and cruise control.
Summum is the third set of equipment and, among other things, has an 8-inch screen on the graphical dashboard, high-quality audio system High Perfomance with support for USB and Bluetooth, and folding rear view mirrors, as well as a memory function for the driver’s seat.
The top-of-the-range equipment is called Executive and it allows you to set the massage function for the driver and the front passenger sitting next to each other, the second row of seats will be installed armrest, there will be an auxiliary lighting package. The panel will be covered with leather and the ice rinks will be 18 inches in size.
The pros and cons
- Improved appearance of the sedan;
- Improved technical filling;
- Good aerodynamic resistance;
- Excellent stability on the road;
- Lots of free space in the cabin;
- Application of the improved quality of materials of furnish of an interior;
- Qualitative assembly;
- Convenient and pleasant dashboard;
- Comfortable seats;
- A lot of free space on the second row;
- Acceptable luggage compartment;
- Excellent dynamic characteristics;
- Some power units have modest enough expense of fuel;
- High and one of the best in the world, the level of safety not only for the driver and nearby passengers, but also for pedestrians and other road users;
- A solid list of functions, even in basic equipment;
- Various driver assistants and electronic systems.
Cons of a car
- Big size;
- Low ground clearance height;
- Some power units have a solid fuel consumption.
We sum up
Summing up the restyled version of the Swiss business sedan Volvo S80 2014, I would like to say that despite the fact that the whole car has not been cardinally changed, the changes are immediately felt. Basically, it is noticeable from the front of the car. The car, despite its considerable size, looks much smaller. The sedan has become more sporty, graceful and stylish. The presence of big arches of wheels with not less massive wheels, up to 19 inches is pleasant.
The interior of the car became even better, although it was already excellent. Here you can immediately feel the quality, high level of assembly and elegance, which blends perfectly with the ergonomics of the sedan. The front panel is perfect and comfortable enough. All the controls are intuitively positioned and intuitively positioned. The central console is not rebooted, everything is in place. The front seats are very comfortable, have the option of massage, ventilation and electrical adjustment, but still they lack improved side support.
The second row of seats will not have lack of free space. Although the luggage compartment does not have a record volume, it will allow you to carry the most necessary things with you. Certainly, the given car is not for trips on a summer residence as eloquently testifies also low height of road clearance. The Swiss have updated the electronic filling of the sedan, now it has even more different assistants and assistants.
The company is a leader in providing a high level of safety not only for the driver and passengers sitting next to each other, but also for other road users, including pedestrians and even cyclists. Its awards and the status of a safe car speak for itself. The car has powerful enough power plants, which will allow you to feel confident when driving uphill and overtaking.
In general, a very pleasant and necessary update. I would like to wish that the automobile company would continue to produce new cars, update the existing ones, and most importantly, keep the bar high of the safest cars in the world.
We advise you to read the article: Volvo’s history
Volvo S80 photo