Since the start of 2013, it was reported that the company Mitsubishi plans to carry out a minor restyling for the compact parquet flooring “ARCH”, as a consequence of which, the car will be able to get a different finish of some interior details and will be subjected to refinement on the appearance.
However, regardless of this, the company decided not to raise the price of the car, in other words, the salons of official dealers, will sell this restyled parquet flooring at the price of last year’s cars. Undoubtedly, Mitsubishi ASX is one of the most popular crossovers in the Russian Federation. The whole model range is Mitsubishi.
When designing the ASX compact crossover, the design and engineering staff from Japan followed the simple and correct path. For the base was taken a model, which is a larger machine – Mitsubishi Outlander HL second generation, which could lower and make a more sloping roof, lower the level of the front overhang by 95 mm and cut the back part by 250 mm. Thanks to this solution, the Mitsubishi ASX was produced, which can really be called a compact car. Interestingly, the dimensions of the wheelbase of the donor base remained the same.
It is also important that the car produced by Japanese engineers, in the future made it possible to produce such cars as Citroen C4 Aircross and Peugeot 4008. Body painting has a wide choice of enamel color, among which there is a presence of white, white mother of pearl, black mother of pearl, as well as metallic – silver, dark blue, turquoise, red and gray.
In general, the exterior of the car, which is a compact crossover Mitsubishi, flaunting with 3 diamonds on the cladding of a large trapezoidal grille false radiator, which immediately makes it similar to the Outlander HL and sedan Lanzer X. Its external characteristics are very similar to the model before the update, because the design staff only slightly corrected the grille and front and rear bumper.
In everything else, the appearance of the Japanese compact crossover has remained the same – there are all those strict lines of the wedge-shaped body, high sill line, large doorways, falling down to the back of the roof, frying of the stern, moderate patching of arches of the wheels, neat rear and front bumpers, strict light-amplifying system, where the stern is even an LED filling.
There is also, it seems to everybody the usual protection of the lower part of the car, where black plastic is used, which is able to cope with the impact of stones and sand, which can fly out of under the wheels. Speaking of the bodywork component of ASX, it was produced with the introduction of high strength steel and coated with anticorrosive and anti-gravel coating on the bottom. The front wings are made of plastic, and even though the machine is dominated by chopped wings, the drag coefficient is only 0.32 Cx.
The car company understood that there would be demand for cars in the Russian Federation, so they are equipped with batteries for difficult working conditions, which have an increased capacity, antifreeze, which can withstand temperatures up to minus 40 degrees Celsius, reconfigured control unit of the power unit (cold start) and the function of heating the seats installed in front. The update of 2013 gave this brand a fresh bumper and affected mainly the front bumper, which became more complete by eliminating the large stand-out insert at the bottom and changing the shape of the fogging seats.
The shape of the grille pattern was slightly altered. Moreover, the exterior has now an abundance of chrome parts, which gives the machine a graceful and stylish look. In general, the entire appearance of the crossover Mitsubishi ASX has a sporty style, which seems to suggest that the car is dynamic and modern.
In terms of external dimensions, Mitsubishi ASX has a length of 4,295 mm, width of 1,770 mm, height of 1,625 mm, wheelbase of 2,670 mm, ground clearance level of 195 mm, which is very good for such a car, given its purpose and the quality of our roads. The wheels are 16 and 17 inch rims, made of steel or light alloy. Optionally, 18-inch alloy wheels can be ordered.
Mitsubishi ASX has not acquired any major changes that could be found in the interior of the car. The crossover is still five-seater, and all the locations of controls installed on the front panel and the central console, too, have not found global changes. Among the novelties we can highlight the appearance of a new steering wheel, new materials for armchairs, which have become more improved quality, on the door panels began to install metal inserts, which gave a variety of designers’ moment.
There are also other navigation and audio systems that support SD cards – now you can download new maps. The top version of Mitsubishi ASX has a panoramic roof with LED backlighting and adjustable brightness modes. It turns out that in the daytime, the driver and passengers sitting next to him, will be able to admire the sky through the glass roof, and at night they will be pleased with the designer’s lighting, creating from the inside of the car their own special aura.
The interior of the updated SUV from Japan was qualitatively assembled from pleasant to the feeling material, where you can see the presence of soft plastic, textured fabric upholstery and leather trim seats. On the driver’s seat, you can find a small size of the steering wheel, which fits comfortably into the hands, and the presence of adjustment of the steering column in four directions will be very useful. All sensors and instruments are quite informative, located in a pair of deep wells, between which there is a display of the onboard computer with a color information screen.
The driver’s seat is mechanically adjustable (as a separate option, you can buy a function on an electric drive), and provides a high and comfortable fit, but too dense padding can cause fatigue in the lumbar area if your journey is too long. Between the seats there is an armrest, a small space for small bags, sockets for glasses, which are perfect for small items. The level of glazing gives the machine a good view and is complemented by the side mirrors of the rear view.
The panel in the front, together with the centre console, pleases with its pleasant, soft shape. Depends on what equipment will be installed, the Japanese crossover Mitsubishi ASX, the console places a radio (radio, CD, support for MP3, AUX and 4 or 6 speakers), or advanced music Rockford Fostgate (subwoofer and 9 speakers), optionally you can buy a multimedia system with support for touch input (the presence of a navigator, CD, DVD, USB, Bluetooth and camera back visibility). There is also an air conditioner or climate control, where the air duct can supply air to the legs of passengers sitting behind.
The second row possesses considerable sizes, in part thanks to massive dimensions of a base of wheels where three persons will take places, one to be on a back sofa it will be a little uncomfortable, to what vertical landing and a low ceiling where it is possible to carry and small lateral glasses which are capable to cause sensation of stiffness will be guilty.
Luggage compartment, by the way, has not record 415 liters of useful space, in the floor there is a full-size spare wheel. If necessary, the entire 2nd row of seats can be folded together, and as a result it is possible to get almost flat ground and 1,219 liters of free space. The large rear door provides a large rectangular opening, but the loading height is small.
Speaking of technical characteristics of Mitsubishi ASX, we can safely say that there is something to choose from among the power units. For the Japanese crossover three engines were saved.
- 1.6 liters, with 117 horsepower. It is synchronized with the 5-speed manual gearbox and drive on the front wheels of 2 WD. With this engine, the car reaches the first mark of 100 km/h in 11.4 seconds, and its maximum speed is 184 km/h. The appetite of the first engine is not so voracious, from 5 liters on the road to 7.8 liters in urban mode. In reality, the car takes 6.5-7.5 liters per 100 liters on the highway, and in the city it takes 10-11 liters. Each cylinder has 4 valves, which are controlled by MIVEC electronic phase control service. The engine is constructed on a platform of the all-aluminum block and is supplied by presence of system of the distributed injection ECU-MULTI, and also possesses a chain drive of the gas-distributing mechanism with pair of camshafts DOHC.
- 1.8 liters, with a capacity of 140 horses. It works together with an automatic gearbox (CVT variator) and also has a four-wheel drive on the front axle of 2 WD. With this engine, the car reaches the first hundred in 13.1 seconds, and the speed limit is 186 km/h. According to the passport, the engine is from 6.4 liters on the road, and in urban conditions – 9.8 liters. The real fuel consumption in the countryside will be 7.5-8.5 liters, and in urban conditions 11-12 liters, with heavy traffic jams, this figure can increase to 14 liters per 100 km. The engine was designed on the GEMA platform, and such companies as Mitsubishi, Hyundai and Chrysler took part in its development.
- 2.0 liters, 150 horsepower. This power unit works with an automatic CVT variator, which knows how to connect the all-wheel drive system Multi-Select 4 WD, which has three modes of operation: 2WD – automatically connected all-wheel drive, 4WD – constant torque distribution to the axes and the mode Lock, where the electromagnetic clutch operates quickly, but, unfortunately, not lock. With the last engine, the car accelerates to the first hundred in 11.9 seconds, and the maximum speed level is at 188 km/h. According to the passport, the engine eats from 6.8 liters in the countryside, to 10.5 liters in the city cycle. But such indicators are not achieved by the drivers, so they claim that the 2.0-liter engine requires about 8-9 liters on the country road, and 12-12.5 liters in urban mode.
The suspension, Japanese engineers and designers, installed an independent, stabilized, transversely stable suspension system with McPherson’s famous racks at the front and a multilever on the rear axle. Electric power steering is in charge of control. The brake system is responsible for disc brakes, which are already in the basic version with ABS, EBD, Brake Assist, Brake override system. More advanced versions with more powerful motors (1.8 and 2.0), come with ASTC (course stability system with anti-skid service) and Hill Start Assist. Crossover version has reinforced front levers, new silent blocks and reconfigured shock absorbers.
The Japanese have always paid close attention to the organization of the various security systems of the machine. This is also noticeable in their Mitsubishi ASX crossover. The car company worried not only about the SUV driver, but also about all the passengers sitting next door. Airbags have been installed almost everywhere, which are designed to prevent possible injuries during an unusual situation on the road.
As an additional system, the Mitsubishi ARS installed a traction control and stabilization system and a traction assistance system for possible unexpected braking. There is also the possibility of electronic distribution of braking force. You can also find a system to help the driver to start from a place on a steep ascent, a small pillow for the knees of the driver and a special body structure RISE.
Complete sets and prices
Speaking about the pricing policy of the Japanese off-road Mitsubishi ARS, it clearly has a considerable range here. Ot $15302,57 was sold to Mitsubishi ASX in the initial configuration of Inform, where there is a 1.6-liter engine with 117 horses and a mechanical 5-speed gearbox. Implementation of a complete set of Exclusive with 2.-Uh liter engine designed for 150 horsepower and variable transmission 4WD, which also includes a leather interior, electric driver’s seat, panoramic roof, navigation system, xenon and climate control, will cost $25241,45.
The top models have LED running lights, which were placed next to fog lamps in the front bumper and 17-inch wheel rims of new design. There are a total of five different configurations: Invite, Intense, Instyle, Ultimate and Exclusive.
Pluses and minuses
- Pleasant appearance of the car;
- Good machine controllability;
- Ergonomic suspension;
- Large arsenal of rich equipment;
- Admissible Japanese ground clearance;
- Availability of a comfortable and spacious salon;
- Presents a choice among gasoline engines (3);
- Approved pricing policy of the company;
- Silo units have moderate fuel consumption;
- Silo units have moderate fuel consumption
- Not bad visibility;
- Complex approach to security level;
- LED lighting system available;
- In more expensive equipment there is a four-wheel drive.
Cons of a car
- Low fuel consumption of the strongest engine;
- Not find good dynamics;
- Inside the car there are not enough compartments to keep small things safe;
- Inadequate noise insulation;
- Low-informative steering wheel control;
- Not very abrupt braking system;
- Luggage compartment has a small volume;
- Weak power units;
- Back row is not as comfortable for three people.
We sum up
After the next update, Mitsubishi Automotive Company provided us with a really good car Mitsubishi ASX. At once it is possible to note its pleasant external design which perfectly combines with its characteristics. The car became more sporty, more solid and dynamic. High enough ground clearance will make it possible to feel more confident when driving in urban conditions and taking into account the quality of our roads.
The fact that the designers have placed in Mitsubishi ASX the presence of LED lighting system, can not but admire the car, because in recent years, this option is becoming increasingly popular. The interior of the car is also at a proper level. Yes, there is no exquisite upholstery, luxurious materials, but here everything is made simple, but of high quality.
The use of leather is also available, but it is true, in more expensive configurations. Presence of the touch screen very even by the way, if to recollect in what century of technologies we live today. If there is enough space in the front, the rear seats will accommodate three people, but they will not feel comfortable because of the high landing and falling roof. The luggage compartment is also not a record-breaking one, but it can provide everything you need when you travel.
Although not the widest, but still there is, the choice of powertrain. They are not very strong, but they do not consume too much fuel. It is nice that the company has worried not only about the safety of the driver, but also of the passengers sitting next to him. Many different systems have been implemented for this purpose.
Most importantly, this Mitsubishi ASX is not worth as much money as its competitors. The presence of the strongest motor will also allow you to feel all the advantages of the system with all-wheel drive. In general, the car turned out to be an excellent, balanced and well-coordinated in the price/quality section.
We advise you to read the article: Mitsubishi Motors, advanced Japanese cars